IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC—the private sector arm of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
IFC is recruiting Country Officers who will promote and coordinate IFC’s investment and advisory activities in certain country, ensuring the integrated delivery of IFC products and services and maintaining necessary relationships to further those activities. The role requires close interaction with government officials, corporate clients, the private sector, counterparts in the World Bank Group, international organizations, and key internal stakeholders to develop new business, share information, and support the structuring and negotiation of deals.
The positions report to the relevant IFC Country Manager and may be based in (i) Cotonou or Lomé, to cover Benin and Togo; (ii) Niamey, to cover Niger; and (iii) Bamako or Ouagadougou, to cover Burkina Faso and Mali.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Develop and implement, in consultation with the IFC Country Manager, an integrated investment and advisory strategy for IFC activities, including country priorities and business targets for key industry groups, and key engagements for IFC with a particular focus on high impact investment and advisory services projects in sectors such as infrastructure, agribusiness, SME development, manufacturing and services, as well as investment climate issues
- Work with investment and advisory teams to develop the pipeline of projects and provide guidance for investment structuring and portfolio management cases
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop investment opportunities in sectors with a high developmental impact
- In consultation with the program managers, conduct engagements with clients, stakeholders, and donors
- Liaise with client and donor partners, and coordination of technical inputs in project design and implementation
- Provide guidance and on-ground support in monitoring the progress and impact of projects through regular project monitoring and evaluation of performance;
- Provide input on project development and management to the Country Manager, program managers and technical team as needed
- Assist the different project teams in coordinating missions, including managing relationships with key clients and stakeholders and to liaise for meetings
- Identify opportunities to strengthen solutions offered to clients by involving other parts of WBG based on a good understanding of the products and project requirements of WBG. Participate in specific activities that may necessary to develop and implement IFC 3.0 in country
- Accountability for preparation of missions in the country
- Accountability for preparation/coordination of any briefing material for the country
- Represent and provide visibility for IFC through organizing/participating in high profile events (senior level visits, interviews, seminars and conferences)
- Develop market knowledge to ensure that IFC is working with the right sponsors
- Take accountability for client selection, ensure the integrity of potential and develop and maintain relationships with these companies and identify business opportunities considering IFC’s strategy, priorities and products
- A post-graduate degree in economics/ finance/ business management is preferred.
- 7 – 8 years of relevant experience in investment/commercial banking, public-private partnerships, and/or management/business consulting.
- Experience in Africa is strongly preferred.
- Ability to assess the viability of business opportunities and potential risks based on strong analytical, finance, financial modeling, credit, and transaction structuring skills.
- Good understanding of IFC’s two business lines – Investment and Advisory– their range of products and instruments, how they complement each other, and how they may be leveraged to match the long-term needs of clients and open new markets.
- Proven track record in nurturing client relationships, business development, and resolving challenging issues.
- Ability to represent IFC externally and to develop and manage relationships with government, media, donors, and other stakeholders.
- A successful track record in identifying, structuring and working externally with sponsors and internally with sector staff to create bankable investment potential with advisory components.
- A team player with outstanding people management skills, strong influencing skills and ability to work with colleagues from different teams not reporting directly to this position, to achieve objectives while maintaining strong client service orientation.
- Strong analytical and presentation skills, working with data using standard office software Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French.
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.